Thursday, July 12, 2012

Sprout Salad

While I'm procrastinating on my grocery list I just had to sit and share this fabulous recipe!
I've had it printed, and in my "to try" folder for quite some time and just today decided to pull together what I had in the crisper, refrigerator, and garden, and finally make it!
sprout salad

Print Recipe

Sprout Salad Recipe


Prep Time: 15 min
Serves: 4

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup / 6 oz / 170 g plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
  • 1 handful arugula chopped
  • 1 small bunch chives minced
  • 8 oz mung bean sprouts (or equiv. cooked mung beans) about 2 cups
  • a big handful of well-toasted sliced almonds
  • 1 ripe avocado chopped
  • good extra virgin olive oil
  • to finish: chive flowers (optional)

Directions

  1. In a small bowl combine the yogurt, salt, arugula, and chives.
  2. In a larger bowl toss the mung beans and almonds with a splash of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Add the avocado, and gently toss once or twice more.
  3. Serve the mung beans next to the yogurt mixture and drizzle with a bit more olive oil. If you had a few chive flowers in your bunch, sprinkle them across the top.

Powered by
Plan To Eat

Notes: I did not have all the ingredients called for above, or had them in smaller quantities. 
Here are my adaptations...
  • 1/4 cup Greek Gods Plain Greek Yogurt
  • 1 handful of Romaine lettuce; chopped
  • only about 4 ounces of Mung Bean Sprouts (I sprouted them at home and had to snip the brownish root like ends off each one, hence only 4 oz. ;) 
  • I chopped raw almonds and toasted them in the toaster oven
  • I wish I had the avocado! That would have made this salad phenomenal! 
  • since I had no chive flowers, but still wanted a little color pop, I added a very small amount of minced purple onion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ Comments! :)