Monday, May 02, 2011

A God of Scandalous Grace

With the recent news, I just can't shake this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I couldn't ignore this prompting to share a little bit of what I feel and believe to be true.
However I am not very good at articulating my feelings and beliefs on "paper," (working on that) so here are some excerpts from some of my favorite books that pretty much sum up what I am thinking and feeling today...

"..I believe in a God of scandalous grace. If I believed terrorists were beyond redemption, I would need to rip out half of my New Testament Scriptures, for they were written by a converted terrorist.
I have pledged allegiance to a King who loved evildoers so much he died for them...teaching us that there is something worth dying for but nothing worth killing for. While terrorists were nailing him to the cross, my Jesus pleaded that they be shown mercy, for they knew not what they were doing. We are all wretched, and we are all beautiful. No one is beyond redemption. May we see in the hands of the oppressors our own hands, and in the faces of the oppressed our own faces. We are made of the same dust, and we cry the same salty tears." -Shane Claiborne, The Irresistible Revolution , Zondervan 2006
"Patriotism is far too myopic. A love for our own relatives and a love for the people of our own country are not bad things, but our love does not stop at the border. We now have a family that is much broader than biology, that runs much deeper than nationalism....The reality of our rebirth should mess with us..."-Shane Claiborne, The Irresistible Revolution, Zondervan 2006
I mourn the death of every soldier, & service member, the family members of the victims of the terrorist attacks, the Iraqi victims, and anyone else directly touched by the violence of our days...
but my "grief is not a cry for war." (Families for Peaceful Tomorrows)

I have had this Scripture and quote on my refrigerator as a magnet for years, and today I think it is especially poignant...
With what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you —Matthew 7:2

"The reason we see hypocrisy, deceit, and a lack of genuineness in others is that they are all in our own hearts. The greatest characteristic of a saint is humility, as evidenced by being able to say honestly and humbly, “Yes, all those, as well as other evils, would have been exhibited in me if it were not for the grace of God. Therefore, I have no right to judge.” -Oswald Chambers, My Utmost For His Highest
I know I may catch some "heat" from some of you who read this because it is contrary to popular opinion, but I hope it also stirs something positive in you...
Namaste - may others see God in you and your actions and "honor the Holy One who lives in you."